Your little slice of paradise
Make the Rakiura Retreat your base as you discover the wonders of Stewart Island, with its pristine beaches, towering rainforest, unique wildlife and fantastic walks.
- Rakiura Retreat will remind you of family holidays past. Grab one of our picnic backpacks and a rug and head down the track to Braggs Bay beach or relax with one of our games or puzzles. Plus, sleeping 18-20 people comfortably, with up to 8 more beds available, we have space for you to bring the whole family.
- Book an apartment and enjoy the exclusive use of a car during your stay. Enjoy a bush walk, explore the coastline, take a kiwi spotting tour, indulge in a restaurant meal and drive home again comfortably after dark. We’ll even throw in the petrol for free!
- Take a tour and spot one of the island’s 20,000 kiwi, or dive into the deep for your seafood dinner. Stewart Island has everything to be your New Zealand highlight.
- We know travelling with children takes planning, so we have most of the extras you’ll need right here. Buggies, car seats, portacots, highchairs are all available, and if you need anything else, just sing out.
- Had a good day fishing or bought one fresh from the locals? Enjoy your catch alfresco on the BBQ deck overlooking the bay. Extra groceries can be purchased locally and even pre-ordered if you need. If you’d rather treat yourself after a day of adventure, relax in one of the great local restaurants.